The Director-General of Health Services confirmed that five COVID-19 related deaths were reported in Sri Lanka on Sunday (Dec. 20), the Department of Government Information said.
Thereby, the COVID-19 death toll in the country has risen to 176.
The details of the deceased are as follows:
01. A 71-year-old male from Panagoda. He had passed away at the Mulleriyawa Base Hospital on the 18th of December. The cause of death was ruled as blood poisoning and COVID-19 pneumonia.
02. A 52-year-old male from Colombo 08. He had passed away at his residence on the 17th of December. The cause of death was ruled as COVID-19 pneumonia.
03. A 71-year-old female from Colombo 12. She was diagnosed as infected with COVID-19 and transferred from Colombo General Hospital to Pimbura Base Hospital where she passed away on 19th December. The cause of death was ruled as blood poisoning due to COVID-19 infection and cancer.
04. A 44-year-old male from Colombo 02, who was transferred from Colombo General Hospital to the National Hospital For Respiratory Diseases in Welisara. The death was reported on the 19th of December. The cause of death is an acute lung infection due to the COVID-19 virus infection.
05. A 49-year-old male from Bandaragama died on admission to Horana Base Hospital on 19th of December. The cause of death was ruled as chest infection due to COVID-19.
As of Monday (Dec. 21), the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Sri Lanka stands at 37,261.
According to the Epidemiology Unit, 28,267 have recovered while 8818 continue to receive treatment.