Didn’t receive prior intel warning on 21/4: President

48

President Maithripala Sirisena who testified before the parliamentary select committee (PSC) probing the Easter Sunday bombings said he did not receive prior intelligence warning on the attacks. He testified before the PSC from 10.20 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. at the Presidential Secretariat.

He said neither Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando nor former IGP Pujith Jayasundara nor Head of State Intelligence Service SDIG Nilantha Jayawardena informed him of the imminent bloodbath.

PSC Chairman and Deputy Speaker Ananda Kumarasiri, ministers Dr. Rajitha Senaratne, Rauff Hakim and Ravi Karunanayake, Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa, Prof. Ashu Marasinghe, Dr. Jayampathi Wickramaratne and Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka attended friday hearing.

He told the committee that not even the Presidential Security Division had been informed of the imminent attacks.

He held responsible IGP Jayasundara who is on compulsory leave and former Defence Secretary Fernando for failing to take adequate measures to avert the dastardly attacks.

He said former Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando lied to the PSC and court on matters related to the Easter carnage.

President Sirisena said Mr. Fernando’s testimonies to the PSC and court were different from what had been told to the Presidential Commission that commenced investigations into the attacks soon after the tragedy.

The report of the Presidential Commission headed by Supreme Court Judge Vijith Malalgoda contained a testimony by Mr. Fernando and it was a different version from what the former Defence Secretary told the PSC and court.