GROS-ISLET, Saint Lucia, Sunday: Sri Lanka captain Dinesh Chandimal has denied ball-tampering by using sweets and will face a hearing at the conclusion of the ongoing second Test against the West Indies, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said Sunday.
“Dinesh Chandimal has pleaded not guilty to breaching Article 2.2.9 of the ICC Code of Conduct and, as such, Javagal Srinath of the Panel of ICC Match Referees will hold a hearing following the conclusion of the St Lucia Test against the Windies,” said an ICC statement. Match officials charged Chandimal after television footage from the final session’s play on Friday appeared to show the captain taking sweets out from his left pocket and putting these in his mouth, before applying the artificial substance to the ball which the umpires viewed as an attempt to change its condition.
Play started two hours late on Saturday after the Sri Lankans, led by Chandimal, refused to take the field following a decision by umpires Aleem Dar and Ian Gould to charge the tourists with altering the state of the ball during the latter stages of Friday’s play.
The International Cricket Council announced on Twitter that Chandimal had been charged for “breaching Level 2.2.9 of the ICC Code of Conduct”.
The rule cited deals with altering the state of the ball.
Sri Lanka had already been handed five penalty runs on Saturday, although that relatively minor punishment was inconsequential compared to the Sri Lankans’ obvious anger at being accused of what amounts to cheating.
It appeared for some time on Saturday that the day’s play at least — and possibly the rest of the match — might be in doubt.
However, it was after these deliberations that the Sri Lankans agreed to the change of ball and to continue playing.
But after initially appearing to be prepared to resume the match, the Sri Lankans hesitated even as they were making their way out to the middle, resulting in further discussions before they were finally persuaded to get the day’s play underway two hours later than scheduled.
The ICC warned at the time that they might take punitive action.
“If there are any, Code of Conduct charges will follow as per usual at close of play,” tweeted the ICC.
In a statement on Saturday, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) solidly backed their players.
“The team management has informed us that Sri Lankan players have not engaged in any wrongdoing,” said SLC in a statement, but added: “SLC advised the team to take the field to ensure the continuity of the match and wish to commend the decision taken by the team ‘under protest’ to ensure the upholding of the spirit of the game.”
Former Sri Lanka player Kumar Sangakkara told Sky Sports in the UK: “I think that they feel hard done-by.
“I think that everyone is a bit jumpy and walking on eggshells, especially after what happened in South Africa. So maybe Gould was just being over-cautious.
“They say something, maybe, that meant the ball needed to be changed; maybe it was the shape. The Sri Lankans would have taken offence at that and would have made their case.”